workout: warmup, benchpress ladder starting @ 135 and working up to 245 and then back down.
an excerpt from an article by Chris Shugart on T-nation
Here’s what you need to know…
• Perform your conditioning work like the bad-ass predator that you are. Don’t run from it like prey.
• To accelerate the benefits, perform conditioning work in the post-absorptive state or after weight training.
• Adaptation is the enemy. Rotate conditioning exercises and the results will keep coming.
Cardio vs. Conditioning: There is a Difference
We could start here by listing all the studies about the drawbacks of long duration cardio and running. Then we could list all the studies that show the benefits of shorter, high intensity conditioning sessions.
There would be lots of fancy acronyms and PubMed links. You’d feel smart reading it, but most likely you wouldn’t apply any of it. Plus, that would be boring. So let’s make the distinction between cardio and conditioning like this:
• Conditioning prepares you for battle. Cardio makes you really good at running slowly away.
• Conditioning fires up the metabolism. Cardio extinguishing it over time.
• Conditioning makes a man look good naked. Cardio makes a man look good in lavender skinny jeans and not much else.
• Conditioning builds legs of steel. Cardio builds legs of an underfed seabird.
• Conditioning makes you lean and hard. Cardio makes you small and soft.
• Conditioning gives you an upper body made of stone. Cardio gives you an upper body made of twigs and Jell-O.
• Conditioning makes you better at any physical activity. Cardio makes you good at cardio.
• Conditioning is sex. Cardio is cuddling and a chick-flick.
• Conditioning is testosterone. Cardio is cortisol and estrogen.
• Conditioning is pecs. Cardio is man-boobs.
• Conditioning is Westside Barbell. Cardio is Planet Fitness.
• Conditioning relieves anxiety, boosts all-day energy and fires up brain function. Cardio increases anxiety and cortisol. (Runners are only happy when they run. The rest of the time they’re assholes. True story.).
• Conditioning is fun. Cardio is fun when it’s over.
• Conditioning is for hunters. Cardio is for Bambi’s mom.
• In short, conditioning is for predators. Cardio is for prey.
That was fun. Let’s move on.
workout: warmup, arm hypertrophy, oh lunges. with my beautiful gf lisa.
i did a bootcamp style class that my gf was teaching today. gawd i suck at lots of that stuff.
he really beats on hypertrophy here
…Conditioning must not take away from training and recovery. Since training for this goal is pretty fruity and awful (you should just train to be strong and let things fall into place), this is the only template that allows wimp conditioning.
ha, ha, ha, a, ha, ha,ha! i agree!
workout: warmup, lunges. arm hypertrophy.
workout: warmup, situps, pushups, sumo deadlifts, gastroc/soleus. with lisa
weak and weak
workout: warmup, oh squats wi empty bar, front squats at 135 (ping!) back goes. my girlfriend put an elbow where it needed to go. we finished up with shoulder flys.